Saturday 5 April 2014

Fiction Addiction | Book Haul

A bit of a different post today. One of my resolutions/blog goals for this year was to write about more lifestyle-y posts, and I think this is the start of that (yes, 3 months later, I know!). Anyway, this marks the beginning of a new series called Fiction Addiction here on Laura's Land of Beauty. It will basically be about my love of reading and books. To start us off, I thought I would do a little book haul of some books I recently picked up from Amazon.


I had recently finished all the books that I got for Christmas and a few others that I had lying around, so was in need of a couple more. I much prefer to buy off Amazon as you can get them so much cheaper than a proper book shop, plus I find that it's a lot easier to find different books that you wouldn't necessarily see in a book shop.


The first one I picked up was Splintered by A. G. Howard. I first added this to my wish list after watching Elle Fowler's (allthatglitters21) January Favourites video. It sounded just like my sort of book, and I love Elle's recommendations; I tend to enjoy the same genres of books as she does. The description on the back of the book says:

Alyssa Gardner hears the thoughts of plants and animals. She hides her delusions for now, but she knows her fate: she will end up like her mother, in an institution. Madness has run in her family ever since her great-great-great grandmother Alice Liddell told Lewis Carroll her strange dreams, inspiring his classic Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
But perhaps she's not mad. And perhaps Carroll's stories aren't as whimsical as they first seem.
To break the curse of insanity, Alyssa must go down the rabbit hole and right the wrongs of Wonderland, a place full of strange beings with dark agendas. Alyssa brings her real-world crush - the protective Jeb - with her, but once her journey begins, she's torn between his solidity and the enchanting, dangerous magic of Morpheus, her guide to Wonderland.
But no one in Wonderland is who they seem to be - not even Alyssa herself...


The next book I picked up was The Selection Stories by Kiera Cass. This is a series of books starting with The Selection, then the sequel The Elite. I read these after I had finished my Christmas books and just fell in love them! I suppose the best way of explaining the basic plot of these stories is a fairytale meets The Hunger Games. Anyway, this book contains two short stories based on two of the characters in the series. It also contains a sneak peak of the final book in the trilogy, The One, which is out in May. (Can't wait!) The first book is called The Prince, and the description of this book is:

Before America arrived at the palace to compete in the Selection, there was another girl in Prince Maxon's life.
'The Prince' opens the week before the Selection begins and follows Maxon through the first day of the competition.
A captivating view into the heart of Prince Maxon before he fights to win America Singer's love.

The second book is called The Guard:

Raised as a Six, Aspen Leger never dreamed that he would find himself living in the palace as a member of the royal guard.
In 'The Guard', readers get an inside look at Aspen's life within the palace walls - and the truth about a guard's world that America will never know.
A captivating view into the heart of Aspen, one of the men fighting to win America Singer's love.


Another fairytale-esque book here! You're really starting to see what type of books and stories I like! This is Briar Rose by Jana Oliver. I read the description of this book, and knew it would be one I would enjoy!

Briar Rose believes in fairy tales...
And now, because of a family curse, she's living one. Doomed to fall asleep for one hundred years on her sixteenth birthday, Briar has woken up in the darkest, most-twisted fairy tale she could have ever dreamed of - miles away from the safe, boring small-town life that she has left behind.
Briar must fight her way out of the story, but she can't do it alone. She always believed in handsome princes, and now she's met one her only chance is to put her life in his hands, or there will be no happy ever after and no waking up...


Next up is The Girl in the Mask by Marie-Louise Jensen. I bought this on a bit of a whim, as it sounded a little like something I would enjoy, and was under £4. The description is:

Sophia's duty is clear: look pretty, behave well, and find a husband as soon as possible. But Sophia hates the social whirl of balls and masquerades - so under the cover of darkness, she secretly swaps her ball gowns for breeches, and turns to highway robbery.
When one man begins to take a keen interest in her, Sophia must keep her distance - or risk him unmasking her secret life...


The last one in this haul is Witch Finder by Ruth Warburton. I'm not so sure about this now I re-read the description, but we shall see.  The description of this book is:

London 1880.
Witches killed Luke Lexton's parents and he is determined to avenge their death by becoming a Witch Hunter.
But first he must prove his loyalty and pick a name from the Book of Witches to track down and kill within a month or face death himself.
Luke picks Rosa Greenwood, a young witch-girl who is almost impossible to kill...

What are some of your favourite books?

2 comments:

  1. Love this kind of posts :)
    Michelaxx

    pursuingadreamcalledlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading and I'm constantly picking up new books from charity shops, online and getting them as gifts. This means I have a massive 'to read' pile, which Im slowly getting through. Spending all day reading for Uni means I sometimes struggle to want to read any more even if it is fiction.

    Emma x
    Writing Essays With Wine

    ReplyDelete